Pre-military training and inspection from 1920 to 1944 (by Peter Marx)
After the First World War, a large part of the Banat, and also Siebenbürgen (Transylvania), was annexed to Romania. Previously, those Germans liable for compulsory military service served in the Austro-Hungarian army where military orders were given in either the german or the hungarian language. The german children already learned hungarian in elementary school because it was obligatorily introduced in all hungarian schools as the national language. That was an advantage for the german men who had served in the Hungarian army. During the First World War, all young men who had reached their 18th year were conscripted. When our region was annexed to Romania in 1919, the Romanian State again recruited all those born in 1899 and 1900 even though those men had already done their military service during the First World War in the Hungarian army. The following men from Neusiedel / Uihel were affected:
Those born in 1899 - Johann SCHIPPER sen., Johann HUBER sen., Johann JANOSCH, Michael SEHI, Franz LICHTFUSS (he died in Pitesti as a soldier), Michael DINJER (he refused to go and hid at the home of some relatives in Ostern). Those born in 1900 - Adam EBNER sen., Michael SPRINGARDT, Josef KRATOCHWILL sen.
It was very hard for these men to serve in the Romanian army because they did not know the romanian language. So the romanian authorities introduced pre-military training for the following years. All boys in their 18th year had to take part in this training every Sunday morning for three years. All boys born in 1916, 1917 and 1918 were taken from Uihel to Perjamosch, the district's main town, by local transport every Sunday morning for three years, where they learned their military exercises. They wore the same uniforms: green trousers, green socks, green shirt and a green cap. They all attended Holy Mass together in Perjamosch church. Those born in 1919, 1920 and 1921 were allowed to do their military training in the neighbouring village of Bogarosch. As this village is only three kilometres (one and a half miles) from Uihel, the boys rode there on their bicycles. During winter, they walked or rode horses to the training ground.
At the age of 20, the youths were inspected. The local magistrate ordered a vehicle and drove personally with the recruits to Perjamosch for inspection. In the evening, the recruits were welcomed at the edge of the village by the brass band or a wind instrument player. The recruits marched into the village accompanied by the musicians playing a march. They visited every house where a recruit had been declared fit for service, and there was food and drink for all. Afterwards the recruits marched to the dance hall in the Lichtfuss restaurant where the recruits' ball took place. All the youngsters were invited. During peacetime it was an honour for every boy to be declared a recruit fit for service. At the age of 21 the recruits were conscripted into military service. The recruits from the Banat were sent to the old regions of Romania to Oltenien, Moldova, Besserabien or the Sathmar region. The recruits from the old regions of Romania came in turn to Temeschburg, Arad etc. in the Banat. There were also recruits who volunteered for the romanian military service one year early. Several musicians used this opportunity so they were able to do their military service in Temeschburg, Lugoj, Orschowa and other towns in the Banat. There were also recruits who did their military service with the romanian cavalry regiments on their own horses. After the Second World War the german youths were excluded from military service. They had to serve three years labour on socialist construction sites and in the coal mines instead.
* * * * * * *